In 1892, a three sack
roller plant by Messrs Turner was installed. In
1921 a new roller milling plant of approximately
seven to eight sacks was installed in a former
granary building using some new equipment and some
of the old milling equipment. This eventually
amounted to 8 roller mill stands, which are on the
first floor of a four storey building and were
powered by gas engines until 1948 when a twin Ruston
Hornsby oil engine was installed. This ceased to
operate in 1971 when the crankshaft broke,
thereafter the roller mill was electrically driven.
Commercial white flour
production continued at Botley until December 1990
and stoneground flour until 1993, when for economic
reasons production ceased.
Among some of the
associated equipment not illustrated was an Apex
separator, a Carter disc separator, an Invincible
brush machine, and also some Moir feeders. At the
top of the building is a large multitubular dust
The areas toured are
not open to the public and plans to create a milling
museum are on hold.