Preston Manor, Brighton
of the old Brighthelmstone (later to become
Brighton) being moved on 28 March 1797 to a
new site at Preston two miles away. 86 oxen
were used to pull the sled on which the mill
had been mounted. According to the caption
on the painting, the oxen belonged to the
following gentlemen: W Stanford Esq, Messrs
Hodson, Hamshar, Scrase, Trill, Hall &
Hardwicke. The area where the mill
originally stood was known as Belle Vue
Fields and is now known as Regency Square.
one of the pictures that Peter Hill used to
illustrate his talk about Sussex Mills at
the March HMG meeting.