Hampshire Mills Group
HOME
Up
MILLS BOOK
MILLS OPEN
LIBRARY
LISTED MILLS
MILL HISTORY
HMG ACTIVITY
NEWSLETTERS
SNIPPETS
MILLS OVERSEAS
CONTACT
LINKS

 

 

Back Up Next

Page 6

Newsletter 104, Spring 2014  © Hampshire Mills Group

Illustrated Flour Mill Billheads - Nigel Harris
 

An aspect of milling history

An interesting collectable of milling history is the illustrated company stationery of flour mills, and in particular billheads. Most date from the late 19th/early 20th century and many include a pictorial view of the mill. Many of these mills no longer exist. Caution is needed regarding the illustration, which may not necessarily be an accurate representation of the building. It may include some artistic licence with exaggerated detail and may even represent the ambitious plans of the owner for the future.

Billheads were commonly used on receipts in business transactions from late 1860’s onwards. Many were illustrated and decorated with fancy steel engravings. Some examples are shown here:

Lesbury Mill

This Northumberland flour mill was situated on the River Aln. Milling had been carried out at Lesbury for 600 years until this mill was closed in 1925. The building was lost when it burnt down in 1964.

 

 

Mirfield Mills

Stott’s Mill was situated on the River Calder at Battyeford, West Riding of Yorkshire. The mill was destroyed by fire in April 1909 and part of the site became a car park. 

Ruswarp Mill

Situated near Whitby, North Yorkshire, this mill was originally built in 1752. Unfortunately it had to be rebuilt after a fire in 1911. It then continued to operate until 1989, when it was converted into apartments.

 

 

 

 

Elland Flour Mills

A five story mill which stood alongside the Calder & Hebble Navigation, Calderdale. In 1890, it was said to be the largest flour mill in Yorkshire. The mill suffered a serious fire in April 1907.

 

 

Tasburgh Mill

Was probably once a paper mill but in 1896 became Duffields’ first roller mill. It had an auxiliary steam engine and was capable of producing two sacks an hour. Circa 1935 the mill was closed and converted to residential use.

 

 

This article first appeared in the January 2014 edition of the SPAB Mill News

Back Up Next


HOME ] Up ] MILLS BOOK ] MILLS OPEN ] LIBRARY ] LISTED MILLS ] MILL HISTORY ] HMG ACTIVITY ] NEWSLETTERS ] SNIPPETS ] MILLS OVERSEAS ] CONTACT ] LINKS ]

horizontal rule

Copyright © 2017 Hampshire Mills Group
Registered as a Charity - 1116607